Relationships and Health Education
Teaching of RHE
Here, at St John Fisher, we will be delivering the teaching of RHE, following the Life to the Full Scheme of Work.
Life to the Full is a fully resourced Scheme of Work in Relationships and Health Education (RHE) for Catholic primary schools which embraces and fulfills the new statutory curriculum. Taught with a spiral approach to learning, in which pupils will revisit the same topics at an age-appropriate stage through their school life.
The programme includes teaching about: personal health, physical and emotional well-being, strong emotions, private parts of the body, personal relationships, family structures, trusted adults, growing bodies, puberty, periods, life cycles, the dangers of social media, where babies come from, an understanding of the Common Good and living in the wider world.
The entire teaching is underpinned with a religious understanding that our deepest identity is as a child of God – created chosen and loved by God. The programme is fully inclusive of all pupils and their families.
A programme of prayer and worshipful music will also accompany the Scheme of Work.
Parental consultation has now taken place and the programme has been agreed by our board of Governors. Therefore, the programme will be introduced to our pupils in Summer Term 2 2021.
Below you will find documents that state what will be delivered to children in each Key Phase and when it will be delivered each term. The documents begin with an overview, then if you scroll down you will find an outline of each session being taught. This will enable you to be prepared for any questions or discussions your child may want to have with you.
Ten Principles – Life to the Full Programme Providers
- Our bodies are good
- Through our loving relationships we become close to the image and likeness of God
- Catholic RHE is about the whole person – social, moral, cultural, spiritual
- Catholic RHE should be taught in partnership with parents – complement their role
- Our deepest identity is as a child of God
- Story can change hearts and minds
- Catholic RHE is an education in virtue – Theological virtues are Faith, Hope and Love/ Cardinal virtues are Wisdom, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance
- Catholic RHE is an education in conscience – God has a purpose for you
- Relationship education is about striving for the common good
- Prayer, Scripture and the Sacraments underpin the teaching
RHE Programme Overview for EYFS Children – Detailing Content and When it will be Delivered
RHE Programme Overview for KS1 Children – Detailing Content and When it will be Delivered
RHE Programme Overview for Lower KS2 Children – Detailing Content and When it will be Delivered
RHE Programme Overview for Upper KS2 Children – Detailing Content and When it will be Delivered
Below you will find a link to a document from the Department for Education, which outlines key information.
Information from the Department for Education about the introduction of compulsory relationships education and Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) from September 2020 can be found by clicking on the following link to their website:
Ten Ten Resources
Parent Portal Log in – to access guidance about the programmeal